Friday, May 28, 2010

Bi-polar and pregnancy

Our daughter-in-law was reading a blog and the young woman she was reading about has bi-polar. She is wanting to get off the medications and get pregnant. She is concerned of what will happen with her highs and lows without the medication.

Here is what I know.
Bi-polar has many sides. I don't claim that what I write about here will be a catch all answer but hopefully it might provide someone with some help.

I always encourage those with depression, bi-polar, ADD and ADHD to take DHA. this is most prominently found in fish oil. You can also purchase straight DHA. (I use the Carlson brand Super DHA where each capsule is 500 mgs. I take up to 4 a day depending on my stress levels, etc.) We are often fat deficient and the brain is 60% fat and 60% of that fat is DHA. It is what the brain uses to keep messages transmitting correctly.

Next we have found that an overgrowth of yeast/candida is a large contributor to depression and bi-polar. When yeast/candida becomes systemic it can travel to the brain and cause problems. I would encourage a sugar and milk/dairy free diet. There are good books on yeast overgrowth and diets to follow. The Yeast Connection is a good one. Also meat, dairy and eggs will contribute to the problem. A diet of mainly fresh veggies, some grains and legumes should be looked at. Again there are products that can be purchased to help with controlling the yeast. Yeast/candida is really hard to get rid of especially if someone continues to eat things that promote yeast growth. The company, Vitanica, has what I feel is a good yeast product called Candidastat. Know that men can have yeast issues as well that can manifest as itching ears, nail fungus, skin irritations, etc. If you are sexually active and dealing with yeast in any form, please make sure your partner also does yeast management otherwise you will continue to re-infect each other.

I am a big fan of probiotics. I feel these are invaluable when working with any issue but especially yeast. Again, the company, Vitanica, has a good probiotic called FemCology. There are other companies that also have good probiotics. ReNew Life, Dr. Ohirrah's are two good ones.

Another favorite product that I have used when diagnosed with major depression is Dr. Christopher's Mind Trac. I really like this product and it has been helpful for me.

Then there is good 'ole exercise. I personally have a challenge with exercise. If you work out, walk regularly, etc., this will help the body normalize. I have chosen to purchase a T-Zone Vibration Machine that I use on a regular basis. There are studies with this machine that indicates that is will assist with hormone balancing and mental/emotional balancing and regulation.

Lastly but certainly not least is a rather touchy issue dealing with depression and bi-polar. I feel I would be remiss if I did not mention it. It has to do with dark spirits that influence us and bi-polar is sometimes a result. Please understand that this topic takes more time that I have on this blog. There are two books that I would recommend. Dr. Melvin Fish has a book entitled, " From Darkness Into Light". Karol Truman has one entitled " Feelings Buried Alive Never Die". I would encourage the reading and usage of these two books and many of the techniques mentioned in them. One other source is www.emofree.com which will discuss the Emotional Freedom Technique. We have found all of these books and techniques helpful.( at some time we may discuss this issue in more depth)

Now as far as getting pregnant. There are a few products that have been shown to help with this. Again, Vitanica, has Pregnancy Prep formula and Michael's Naturopathics has Male and Female Reproductive Formulas. I have personal knowledge of individuals who have had success with both of these products.

No comments:

Post a Comment